Arranging a Funeral
This page is designed to help you prior to making the funeral arrangements however, we will guide you through every step of arranging the funeral of your loved one.
The following is a list of most of the questions we will ask you when arranging the funeral:
- Is the service to be a cremation or burial?
- Where would you like the service to be held?
- Service to be religious, civil or humanist?
- If the service is to be a burial, which churchyard or cemetery?
- What sort of music and/or hymns would you like? For further information please click here.
- Would you like an order of service printed? These can be personalised for example:- with a photograph(s), wake location, poems etc. For further information please click here.
- Would you like us to give out name cards at the funeral? This is for people to write their names and a personal message on if they wish. We would then collect the cards after the service and give to yourselves.
- If you have chosen a cremation, at the committal you have the choice of the coffin being lowered from view, curtains to close around the coffin or for the coffin to stay on view until you have left the chapel?
- Funeral cortege to leave: From the deceased or family home, from our Chapels of Rest or Meet at the place of service?
- Do you require any limousine(s)? In each limousine there is room for seven passengers. Limousine(s) can be used to follow the hearse from a private address or collect the family from a private address and meet the hearse at our Chapels of Rest or at the service.
- If cremation, what intentions do you have regarding the cremated remains? There are a number of options that we can discuss with you.
- Will you be having family flowers only and asking for donations in lieu to a chosen charity, flowers and donations or to just have flowers?
- Do you require a death notice to be placed in either a local or national newspaper? We can give assistance in compiling wording and place this in the newspaper for you.
- Type of coffin? To see coffin choices click here.
- Would you like your loved one to wear their own clothing or for us to provide a satin robe?
- If your loved one is wearing jewellery, is it to remain on, or to remove for a keepsake?
Once the initial funeral arrangements have been made, we then liaise with all the third parties involved – Ministers, The Cemetery or Crematorium, Newspapers etc. – and make all the necessary arrangements.
You will need to order your flowers from a florist. You can ring, go online or visit their shop where they can show you a brochure with the different floral tributes they do. These will then be delivered to us two hours prior to the funeral time.